A quality shingle roof acts as a barrier against unwanted guests and the elements. Furthermore, shingles, when correctly installed, provide insulation and increase the overall value of a residential home. First and foremost, you’ll want to know your shingle options. You too can enjoy an affordable and efficient manner to cover your home from above. The roofing industry is evolving, and shingles are more advanced than ever before. Now is the time to invest!
Questions to Consider
Selecting a roofing material is a crucial decision. It’s also one you shouldn’t take lightly. Knowing what type of shingle is appropriate for use on your roof type has pros and cons to consider. So, ask a few questions:
- What are the costs and lifespan of this type of shingle?
- What does the manufacturer’s warranty cover?
- How many colors and styles do these shingles come in?
- Are there particular installation considerations?
- What type of upkeep and maintenance is required?
- How heavy are these shingles?
- Do these shingles meet local/state fire codes?
- How do they hold up against weather conditions?
With these questions in mind, you’re likely to select the right shingle for your needs!
Types of Shingles
There are countless types of shingles on the market today. Some of the most popular include asphalt shingles, metal shingles and fiberglass shingles. Each material has its own benefits and downsides to consider, though.
- Asphalt Shingles – Asphalt comes in a variety of colors and styles, is lightweight, accessible and, most importantly, affordable.
- Metal Shingles – Metal lasts between 40 to 70 years, on average. The material is durable and dependable against weather extremes.
- Fiberglass Shingles – Fiberglass is lightweight, fire-resistant and durable. However, these shingles are costly.